Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 3 Ahmedabad to Desada

    April 3, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We met DK and Anita downstairs at breakfast at 7.30 as life stirred around us Reasonable choice. On the road by 8.30 heading through the city traffic northwards to Modhera and its famous Sun Temple. Delegates from a G20 meeting were scheduled to visit later in the day but we were able to see the entire siteand benefit from a dance rehearsal for later important visitors.

    We shown around the Hindu Temple by guide Vipal who explained the intricacies of the design - from cleansing pool, to the first temple and then finally the inner sanctuary in the second building. All clearly aligned with the fising sun at the equinox shining through the doors of both buildings to strike the holiest part. Numbers of columns, panels,etc.,etc all conforming to Hindu beliefs. Fantastic cravings.

    On our way out we watched the very impressive dance routines being practiced for later.

    From Modhera, joined by Vipal, we travelled north to Patan and its UNESCO World Heritage stepwell. On arrival there did not appear to be much there other than lawns shrubs, and a few monkeys. However, from the rim climbing slowly down through the 7 distinctive levels I became increasingly impressed
    It's an incredible building with more superb carvings. It was a huge surprise for me and definitely worth the visit.

    We returned to Modhera to drop off Vipal and then turned eastwards and eventually Disada. We kept phoning and delaying lunch at our next hotel. Rann Riders.and eventually sat down with the owner, Rahul, and some of his staff at 4.00. Rann Riders is an impressive quality retreat with high levels of performance.

    That evening we were taken to meet Mir tribal people near the village of Desada, buying bracelets and.entering their tents for an inspection. From the Mir we moved to nearby cattleherders, the ? and walked down their village streets. Engaged with the kids by taking photos and then showing them the results.

    Back to Rann Riders for a shower and a meal (which we thought was dinner) near the swimming pool & clay pigeon range. Talked to Rahul and others. Then at 10.00 it was back to the dining room for a large dinner. Rahul was definitely trying to impress DK! I have never eaten so much food, not want to upset our hosts.

    Bed at midnight, bloated and exhausted. But it had been a good day.
    Read more