Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Alcatraz

    February 14, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    Our last day in San Francisco started early so we could have breakfast and then catch a tram car down to the area where we would get the ferry over to Alcatraz for our tour.

    We've been really lucky with the weather for the whole of our trip, but it was far colder today and definitely jumper and jeans weather, rather than shorts and t-shirt.

    Report the tram car and then had a 10 minute walk to pier 33 where we got onto the ferry to take us over to Alcatraz. You're both surprised that Alcatraz was actually prison for less than 40 years given. That's the thing it seems to be most famous for and had a fascinating self-guided audio tour of the name accommodation area which was far smaller than I thought it might be. There were three rows of cells and three stories meaning prison could accommodate around 150 prisoners and also some cells for solitary confinement.

    We realised that we'd actually arranged the tour and it was quite tight for us to get back to the hotel in time to leave for the airport and so immediately after the audio tour, we walked back down the hill (mum says we ran down the hill) and were just in time to catch the ferry back to the mainland.

    We caught an Uber back to the hotel before finishing our packing and then checking out. We drove the half an hour to the airport, checked in and started to reminisce about our trip!

    So our time in the States 🇺🇸 has drawn to a close. It's been a real indulgence to have 11 days away reliving memories and creating new memories with mum.

    Great to catch up with friends..and new spouses.(thanks Simon Thompson , Marcia Britvan and Andrew Parker). Los Angeles, you were great, Palm Springs was delightful, Cambia just spectacular and San Francisco.. Let's just say I've left a bit of my ♥️ there! x
    Read more