Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Olden

    May 30, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    We arrived in Olden before 8 but we had a leisurely start and met for breakfast at some 9.30am.

    After breakfast Ed and I took a walk into the higher decks and some photos of the beautiful scenery around the Fjord.

    Just after 11am we left the ship to meet for our tour to the Briksdal glacier.

    The coach took us up the bakery passing pretty lakes before arriving at a parking area. We headed off for the 3km walk up to a lake into which the glacier flows. The first part of the trip was pretty steep and then the park levelled off for the last stretch. On reaching the lake there were beautiful views of the glacier with steep cliffs rising up from the lake.

    We returned along the path back to the parking area where cake and coffee had been laid on. We also saw photos showing how much the glacier has retreated since 1989 when the edge actually met the lake.

    The return to Olden retraced the route that we'd taken earlier in the day with one quick stop for photos and after a look at the souvenir shops we boarded the ship.

    We spent the rest of the day chilling and eating and admiring the views with a meal at Aqua restaurant and late night drinks in the bar.
    Read more