Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Hvar to Cavtat

    October 19, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ 🌬 21 °C

    We woke to a very different view from our hotel room... It was very windy and had been raining. I decided I'd still attempt a run and was surprised when I got outside to find that it was still quite warm, and very humid.

    When I returned from my run we headed for breakfast and then checked out. We drove about 20 minutes to a small fishing village called Jelsa and stopped for a quick coffee before continuing our journey all the way along the island of Have to Sucuraj, where we were catching a ferry back to the mainland.

    The roads in y the island were well maintained but quite narrow and instead of hedges either side, there was often a drip of a few feet into the field below; the drive to Sucuraj took about an hour and we joined the queue for the ferry. The sea looked a little bit rough but after cramming on far more vehicles than I thought might be possible we still departed on time.

    The crossing was a little bit choppy and it was very windy but we arrived on the mainland without incident and began the drive back to Dubrovnik which took about 2 hours.

    Our hotel for the evening was a further 20km from Dubrovnik and just a 15 minute drive to the airport. The fishing town of Cavtat is pretty and had a cluster of hotels. By the time we arrived it was after 4pm and so after check in we went for a few drinks and some cards at the hotels bar, overlooking the water... Fortunately the bar was covered and so we were not affected by the odd light rain and watched as the light faded.

    We had a quick shower then wandered in to the town and selected a restaurant from the navy that were offering food. The food was lovely and by the time we had finished it was gone 10pm so it was time to return to our hotel for bed!
    Read more