Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Kyoto - day 1 - afternoon

    April 5 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We were up for breakfast and out of the hotel by 9 to catch a team to the station for our train journey to Kyoto. The first part of the journey was on The bullet train to Osaka and from there we caught The Thunderbird train to Kyoto.

    At the station we got a bus to the hotel but as it was only midday we were only able to leave our bags. We had a beer while we got our bearings and then took a walk through the streets up to Kyoto Imperial palace park.

    We spent sometime wandering around the massive park but didn't go in the Imperial palace itself. The park was busy with lots of locals and tourists viewing the cherry blossom which by now in Kyoto is in full bloom.

    From the park we walked along and across the river to a metro station where we caught it. A subway 2 stops to the Gion area. Here we walked along the road seemingly against half the world coming the other way in the pavement to Yasaka shrine. This place was very busy with lots of temporary market stalls selling food and trinkets as part of the spring festival. There were also temporary tables set up and locals and visitors alike sitting having food and beers. However, all the tables were reserved and so we didn't stop.

    We wandered around the garden area for the next 45 minutes or so before catching a bus back to the hotel to check in as it was now past 5pm.
    Read more