Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Nara

    April 7 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    Today we caught the train to Nara, about 40 minutes from Kyoto. The weather was warm and we were going to see the historic city along with the deer that bow when you feed them.

    From the railway station we walked to Nara park where all of the main sights are located. Along the way we bought some deer biscuits too feed the deer with.

    First stop was the 5 story pagoda and then we continued our walk through the park. There were lots of deer and some being fed but most of them were clustered under trees resting and looking like they might already have had enough to eat.

    We continued our walk through park and then stopped for some refreshment.

    Next stop was Isui- En, some Japanese gardens before walking along to the Todai-ji temple complex which includes the largest wooden structure in the world.

    Inside the temple was the Largest bronze Buddha in the world.

    Ok exiting we walked back through the park and managed to find some interested deer who wanted to be fed. They did bow before taking the wafer biscuit and eating it.

    From here we stopped at a bar for a couple of beers and then caught the train back to Kyoto.

    For tea we walked about 15 minutes to a gyoza restaurant before heading back to the hotel bar for drinks and cards.
    Read more