Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Krakow

    June 27, 2016 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We arrived in Krakow via a short train ride from the airport and found our accomodation - Sereno Apartments; a great little place just a 5 minute walk from the Old Town. Tonight we ventured into to the Old Town and found a quirky place to eat called KoKo, a great student/ backpacker atmosphere in the cellar of the bar where we had 2 courses and a pint for £4! Bargin! 🍻

    This morning we had a 6am start to get ourselves to the Salt Mines. An interesting tour of the mine and they have made great access for the tourists. Reaping the benefits of the salty air we saw lots of carvings, but they were mainly religious scenes and we couldn't help but think some Disney scenes would have been more entertaining 😊. I did however have Charlie and the Chocolate Factory flashbacks when the guide encouraged us to lick the walls to see what they tasted like... surprisingly like salt 😝.
    The mines were worth the trip, however, they didn't top our slate mine experience in Snowdonia a few months back #youcantakeagirloutofwales... 🐑

    We have spent the afternoon in Krakow Old Square eating some lunch and soaking up the atmosphere and will continue to do so tonight, I'm hoping to taste some traditional Polish cuisine 🍴🍺. We've just booked onto an Auschwitz tour for tomorrow morning through Sereno Apartments, which I'm sure will be eye-opening.

    Krakow continued:
    Auschwitz and Auschwitz II-Birkenau - Our tour was organised with the company See Krakow which included transport to and from the camps and an English speaking guide for the duration of the tour, who, for me made the experience very informative and emotive.

    It was essential to visit both parts of the camp, in order to acquire a proper sense of the place that has become the symbol of the Holocaust as well as Nazi crimes againt Poles, Romas and other groups.

    It's impossible to put this experience into words, and I almost feel that I shouldn't attempt to. I encourage everybody who has the opportunity to go and visit both Auschwitz sites to learn the reality of what happened here during 1940 and 1945.

    Later this day we spent walking through the grounds of Wawel Castle, quite pleasant topped off with an icecream.🍦🍦

    Schindler's Factory - during our stay in Krakow we have also visited Schindler's Factory- An interactive and educational experience which exhibited life in Krakow before, during and after WW2. A small section of the museum was also dedicated to Oskar Schinlder, where exhibits depicted his dedication to saving the lives of the Jews that worked in his factory.

    The weather has picked up now and it's lovely and hot 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞. The rest of our time has been spent soaking up the atmosphere in Krakow's Old Town and Jewish quarter, enjoying the hustle and bustle and enjoying the local cuisine, such as Pierogi 😊.
    Read more