Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Venice, get lost!

    July 7, 2016 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    As soon as we stepped off the train the reality of beautiful Venice hit me as the canal flowed right in front of the train station. We elbowed our way onto the vaporetto and travelled down the Grand canal to our airbnb stop at the Rialto Bridge.

    We stayed in the heart of St Marco and could even watch and hear the gondolas serenade past our balcony ❤.

    What a maze Venice is! Our first afternoon in Venice was a mix between finding out where we were and trying to get ourselves off the beaten track and away from the hoards of tourists!

    The weather again was super hot! 🌞🌞🌞so over a couple of days we had short jaunts out of the appartment to see the sights and then back to cool down 😓.

    We went to the top of Campanile Di San Marco for the stunning panoramic view of Venice. Steve and I also visited St Marc's Basilica and the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's palace) in St Marco's square, where we crossed the Bridge of Sighs - famously named because the prisoners would 'sigh' as they glanced at the beauty of Venice for the last time before being booted straight to the prison cells beyond it.

    We have now inevitably purchased a selfie stick!
    Read more