Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Indiana Jones and The Cave Of Doom

    July 30, 2016 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    On our last day in Sakau, our guide Jeffery took us to Gomantong Caves, home to millions of bats and... what he forgot to tell us, home to millions of cockroaches. The smell of the cave when approaching it was a sure sign of things to come, IT REAKED! 💩 Amongst the wrything cockroach infested surfaces, long-legged centipiedes, spiders, rats, beatles and swiftlets made their home. All of these creatures feasted on the bat droppings that has fallen to form a huge heap below.

    This was the closest I was EVER going to get to an Indiana Jones experience!!!!💀 - The cockroaches were all over the board-walk, hand rails and walls. If one wasn't careful,  you would hear a crunch underfoot as you went by.

    We all made our way along the boardwalk 👣👣, a constant challenge and battle for us and both proud to say we did it!👫 We made it to the end 👏and out just in time to watch the exodus of the millions of bats as dusk fell.

    When I asked Jeffery why there were no other tourists here, he basically summed it up as it doesn't attract too many tourists & children👪, NOW I KNOW WHY!

    After that I wouldn't have been surprised if they had served us monkey brains for dinner!🙊

    On a brighter note, this afternoon was also the closest we've gotten to wild orangutans 🐵.  There were three of them in total. We witnessed a mother orangutan breast feed her baby. It was amazing to watch! 😍
    Read more