Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Assumption of the BVM Church

    September 15, 2019 in Poland ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    https://medievalheritage.eu/en/main-page/herita…

    History
    The parish church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Chełmno was erected in the years 1280-1320. In contrast to many other sacred buildings, it was built quite quickly, and during the construction only small adjustments were made in relation to the original design. It was erected in two phases. First, until the early 1290s, a chancel and a northern aisle were erected. In the second phase, the construction of the entire nave was completed, while at the latest before 1333 the north-west tower was finished. The southern tower was left unfinished, while the upper part of northern tower was added in the late gothic period, after the fire of 1501.
    In the following centuries, no major alterations were made to disturb the gothic character of the temple and the impression of stylistic uniformity. Only in 1560, the chapel of the Mother of God was added, and at the end of the 17th century, the chapel of Corpus Christi and in the 18th century, the southern porch. At the end of the 19th century, serious repair work was carried out on the damaged by the time walls, in particular within the highest storey of the northern tower.
    Read more