Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Collegiate Church of St. Virgin Mary

    September 19, 2019 in Poland ⋅ ☀️ 54 °F

    Collegiate Church of St. Virgin Mary of the Assumption in Środa Wielkopolska

    https://www.poland.travel/en/monuments/collegia…

    Collegiate in Środa Wielkopolska is still a great example of Gothic buildings, which arouses interest of tourists from all over Europe.

    The most remarkable monument of Środa Wielkopolska is the parish Church of St. Virgin Mary of the Assumption. It was built between 1423-1428 on the site of the old, wooden Church from the thirteenth century. The Church is “oriented”, which means that the presbytery is directed to the East. The presbytery and the eastern wall is adjacent to the rectangular vesrty from the north. On the other side of the presbytery there is an octagonal chapel of St. Trinity, called also the chapel of Gostomscy, after the name of its founders. The whole building is dominated by the tall, six-floor tower, which is adorned with attic. This is a reconstruction of the original, Renaissance finials, made in 1926. The oldest pieces of collegiate furnishing, are originating from the beginning of the sixteenth century and they are: the group of the Crucifixion on the rood beam, canons stalls, arranged on either side of the presbytery and the tombstone of Ambroży Pampowski (d. 1510).
    Read more