Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Israel (Beersheba Day)

    October 31, 2017 in Israel ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Well the big day has finally arrived & we started early. We were on the bus at 6.00am & heading to the local stadium where security checks were undertaken & wrist straps issued. Once cleared, we were moved to the next security checkpoint located near the Beersheba Commonwealth War Grave Cemetery. Here we all underwent individual security checks & were issued our lanyards & goodie bag to commemorate the day before being ushered into reserved seating inside the cemetery in preparation for all of the formalities. The ceremony went off without a hitch & we even got our faces on live TV courtesy of the ABC!
    Israeli PM, Benjamin Netanyahu spoke, as did our PM, Malcolm Turnbull & numerous other dignitaries. It was a moving & powerful ceremony.
    We moved from this location to the street parade where our riders & their horses took pride of place.
    Next we were bused to a local park at Beit Eshel, where we caught up with the riders for lunch before being moved to the area where the charge was going to be re-enacted. After a bit of waiting around, the dignitaries finally arrived and the charge could begin.
    There were thousands of people in attendance & security was tight with snipers set up in strategic positions as well as Mossad Agents, Secret Service & all sorts of other agencies being represented. Unfortunately, all of this security & their staff didn't allow for the greatest of views of the charge, however a lovely Israeli Policewoman took my camera & ensured I had plenty of shots from the frontline.
    The day concluded with a BBQ dinner for everyone in a local park. We opted out, as we'd had enough excitement for one day & were hanging out for a good sleep before our journey home the next day.
    Read more