Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Singapore - Day 1

    July 21, 2018 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    The beginning of our journey....

    Today we departed Brisbane at 0910 via Singapore Airlines with Richard & Rachel - our first time travelling with family. We even scored an upgrade to Premium Economy for the flight; what a luxury!
    We touched down in Changi at 1430 in the afternoon local time (1630 Brisbane time). It was beautifully warm & humid, a stark contrast to the cold morning we had woken to in Brisbane. We jumped in a cab & headed straight to our hotel, the Pan Pacific Singapore. After unpacking & taking in the views & our surroundings we headed out to explore the city. Our hotel was in a great location & within easy walking distance of all of the city attractions.

    The area was a hive of activity as we had arrived to a country wide rehersal for the upcoming 'National 'Day' celebrations (Singapore celebrates 53 years of independance on 9th August 2018); it seems that everyone get's involved, including the military. We walked to Boat Quay via the bay (& the famous Merlion statue) & settled in for dinner & drinks alongside the river; we had a great view of the CBD & were treated to an awesome aerial display by the airforce including fighter jets & a Chinook helicopter carrying the biggest flag I have ever seen! - Thai style crispy fried duck, sizzling beef & a few Singapore Slings 🍹were on the menu & did the job nicely.

    We walked back to our hotel with our bellies full & our eyes wide with wonder at the bright lights & bustling cityscape.
    Read more