Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Maldives - Day 4

    July 24, 2018 on the Maldives ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    This morning we departed Singapore on a Silk Air flight for the Maldives! We were so excited! The journey took approximately 5 hours & we landed just after lunch local time (5 hours behind Brisbane time) - interestingly they have a franchise of the Coffee Club at the airport - a taste of home!
    A representative from the Sheraton welcomed us at the airport & after a 30 minute wait we were aboard the resort's speed boat for the 25 minute journey to our destination for the next 7 nights, Furanafushi Island - home to the Sheraton Full Moon Resort & Spa!

    We have been transported to paradise! The water colour is exactly as it appears in photos - turquoise & crystal clear! The staff at the resort met us at the dock with cheery waves & a refreshing grape juice - what a welcome! Next we were bundled on to a golf cart & driven to our rooms via the sandy, palm tree lined paths that wind through the resort. Our rooms - overwater bungalows, WOW! We pulled up to a small, wooden walking bridge that stretched out over the crystal clear water to our bungalows. It was a scene straight from a postcard! The door opened to polished wood floors, an exposed beam ceiling & an incredible outlook from our bed of the deck, daybed & ocean. Even the bathroom had a view & it's own private door leading out to the deck! If heaven is like a place on earth, then this surely must come close to being it!

    After settling in & picking our jaw up off the floor due to the spectacular view, we got our snorkelling gear & descended the ladder from our deck into the crystal clear water below where a wonderland of tropical reef fish & exotic shells awaited. What an absolute awesome experience! After an hour or so exploring this undersea paradise we emerged, washed off under our outdoor shower & made our way to dinner at Feast Restaurant; & what a feast awaited! It was Maldivian Night at the buffet so we got to experience what the locals eat, lots of curries, fish & spicy food, although there was plenty of food that was not too spicy as well. The fish was incredible & so fresh! There was so much food & the variety & quality was incredible given the logistics required to get it all to the island. Hats off to the chefs & kitchen staff!

    Our bellies were full, our bodies exhausted & our minds overwhelmed...we drifted off to sleep between sheets of crisp white linen, lulled by the ocean lapping at our doorstep, literally.
    Read more