Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2–3

    Abu Dhabi — The Reunion

    September 2, 2022 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ 🌙 33 °C

    Abu Dhabi's airport looked like every other major airport ever. The signs I had just landed on an Arab country were people's clothing and the food options at restaurants.

    I landed an hour and change ahead of Vasco. I found a comfortable spot at the arrivals area of the airport and snoozed while waiting for him. It would be almost 7 hours in-between flights which would give enough time to go out and do some sight seeing around Abu Dhabi. Things didn't go as planned though.

    Vasco's flight was delayed, and then he couldn't find the exit of his terminal. He allegedly asked multiple people for directions, who pointed towards disparaging directions making him run in circles for an hour or so. All while sending me confusing messages claiming to be almost out the whole time.

    At some point he made it, freeing himself of the terminal-labyrinth trap. We met at the arrivals and had a good laugh at his expense. Unfortunately we had lost a good chunk of time thus leaving us with no other choice than to skip our express visit to Abuh Dhabi. All we could do was to get some dinner (or was it lunch?).

    As soon as we stepped out of the airport we were swallowed by the thick and hot humidity of the Persian Gulf. The evening's hot air left my glasses fogged, my clothes humid and my hands sticky. It could have been worse though — this evening was the aftermath of a hellish 45 °C afternoon.

    Any wish to be outside evaporated and we went looking for a restaurant in the airport. After finding food we just hung around in the terminal waiting for our flight to Jakarta.
    Read more