Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Rivers, Lakes, Snow & Mountains

    June 1, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Haast, up & over Haast Pass, stopping at Thunder Creek, Fan Tail Falls, Blue Pools, Lake Huwea, Lake Wanaka & Wanaka.

    The cold wind blew most of the night and eased off before dawn but still very cold at breakfast, but clear and no sign of clound so the day looks promising.
    Headed south on Haast Pass, the road following the rivers with snow topped mountains towering over us on both sides.
    Our first stop at Thunder Creek, the temp was still only 2c, lovely waterfall dropping into the river below. Noticed some piles of stones, little stone cairns dotted along the riverbank. From then on, every time we stopped, we saw these, not sure of their significance but given these fast running creeks, they certainly wont be permanent.
    The next stop was at Fantail falls, a smaller water fall that spreads out as it falls into a creek. The rocks in the creek bed were still covered in ice as the sun hadn't yet touched them. Sue built another cairn and then we were off again in the comfort of our warm vans.
    Next stop was the Blue Pools and required a little longer walk through some forest and over 2 swinging walk bridges until we came upon the Blue Pools which are the deep pools of water from a creek just as they merge with a larger river. The colour is an absolutely clear pale blue, can see every pebble on the bottom of the creek bed, we watched a couple of large trout swimming just underneath us, completely undisturbed. Heaps phots and the walk back was as good as the walk in.
    Stopped for a late lunch at a tiny village of Makarora West where we ate our lunch in front of a huge open fire, looking out over the paddocks & mountains.
    Just as well because no sooner had we left there than we came upon the expanse of Lake Wanaka, against a background of glorious mountains. It seemed to go for ages until the road veered away, over another range and we are presented with Lake Hawea, which provides another set of lake/mountain/snow panoramas.
    Finally we get into Wanaka township and decide to stay the night rather than get into Queenstown late. Good choice because the Wanaka Kiwi Holiday Park is set up on the south side of the lake and we had a fine view of the lake, the town & the mountains.
    The park was probably the best we have stayed at so far with a large kitchen dining area with a large wood fire. So we settled in and the ladies did their usual routine, discovering fellow travellers from Japan, Argentina (who spoke Italian, to Sues delight), Germans (who were cooking Irish Stew!), French, and a couple of Aussies.
    Is State of Origin Rugby League night so we stayed up to watch the 1st half, but as the game didn't start till 10.20pm, we didn't stay till the end.

    Weather was cold, fine and absolutely superb. Max about 10c.

    Highlights
    * All our stops were special but Blue Pools probably sneaks in at No. 1 due to it's unique colour.
    * ALL the scenery
    * Wanaka Kiwi van Park
    * multi cultural dinner & discussion.
    Read more