Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Final shot of scenery

    June 6, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 2 °C

    Queenstown to Glenorchy & return to Queenstown airport. Fly to Sydney, fly to Wagga
    Coldest start to the day so far, -5c with a very heavy frost on the ground. Soon warmed up as we had to pack up our vans and all our belongings we have gathered over the past 2 weeks.
    Left all our excess food & supplies at the van park kitchen for some other travellers to make use of.
    Decided to make the most of the morning so we headed north west (sort of) to Glenorchy, about 50km from Queenstown & at the upper reaches of the lake.
    The roads winds around the edge of the lake , occassionally diverting up or down some steepish hills. Bit treacherous due to large sections covered in frost so we went pretty steady, just stopping a few times to take photos across the lake towards yet another range of snow topped mountains, some mist hanging over the lake gave it a nice look.
    Stopped long enough at Glenorchy to have a coffe & a look at the old wharf area before we began our final journey back to Queenstown airport. On the way we came across a car that had lost contol on an icy bend and ended up in the ditch, a bit mangled but all looked ok.
    Our GPS had 1 final go at us, sending us to the wrong adress for the Blitz Van Return so we had an extra lap of the airport carpark looking for it. Finally got there and both vans were returned with just over 2900km travelled over the whole trip and only 4km difference between the 2.
    After a quick check of the outside, the Britz guy gives us the OK and then gives us a $180 road tax bill for the duty on the diesel we have used. We were surprised how cheap ($1.10-1.30/ L) how diesel was, but it is without duty and all road users have to pay this duty, later on.
    Read more