Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Tia Chi, War Museum and more Iced Coffee

    June 24, 2017 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Saturday 24th June
    Another summers day in Ho Chi Minh City which means overcast, very humid with sunny patches and very warm,and, did I mention humid?
    * Sue, Louisa and Peter went for a pre-breakfast walk in the park, only a couple of blocks away. It was full of ponds, massive trees and grassed areas and about 10,000 people doing either Tai Chi, excercises, Badmington, shuttlecock or just walking or jogging. All low intensity stuff but looks like a pretty nice start to a day, rather than Bootcamp, pump or other high impact stuff done at home. So after imagining us doing some of these activities, we wndered back to a coffee shop and had an iced coffee before returning to the hotel for brekky, either western or local style...
    * Then out the door to walk a km to the War Remnants museum, a display and explantation of the Vietnam war, from the Vietnamese perspective. Quite confronting with graphic photos of war atrocities and the damge caused to the locals. Certainly puts a different outlook on the war, the cause and the eventual victory by the VC. Sue & Justin chose to retreat to the coffee shop instead and had a good old catch-up chat.
    * Continued our walk , firstly to Notre Dame cathederal which was closed but we watched a bridal couple get their photos done, in front, but on the street with traffic going around them;
    * Then onto the Post Office, a grand old style PO full of ornate fittings, old style counters, traditional phone booths along each side and a huge portrait of Ho Chi Minh overseeing the whole lot.
    * Travelled further passed the Opera House, stopping for another Iced Coffee (graduated to a No 3 strength this time) before reaching the riverfront. Not very inviting, probably the only people in there would be those who had no say in the matter.
    * Wandered some back streets until we happened upon a likely looking lunch place., upstairs seating on big benchesand the cooks working awayin the back part. The specialty was Noodles & soup but we settled for beer and a type of rice dumpling and rice pancake,, a bit bland but something different.
    * Partially refreshed we kept going, stopping in front of city hall to pay homage to the immense statue of President Ho Chi Minh, before arriving at Saigon mall, a mall you could find anywhere in the world, same layout, similar shops & goods. Louisa went off and lucked upon a dress exactly what she was lokking for. The rest of us just loitered about watching the locals.
    * Found our way back to the Hotel, passing a vast array of touts, sellers and beggars who quietly but persistenly seek our $ or patronage.
    * Before long it was time for a drink and then headed off for dinner at the markets or local restaurant, missing out on the rain that was a bit late today.

    Highlights
    * walking around the park early in the morning watching all the people doing Tai chi, Shuttlecock, Badmington, excecises, jogging.
    * The War Museum;
    * More excellent coffee;
    * Justin cupcaking himself;
    * Catching up on gossip over coffee.

    Weather, very warm & humid, about 31C, rain later in the evening.
    Read more