Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Bangkok - Royal Palace,Trains & Shopping

    July 7, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Thursday 6th July
    Everyone a bit doughy after a short night and Ross was taking the chance to relax his legs which had come out in a rash.
    Justin's friend Colin met up with us while we had breakfast and planned a catchup on Saturday.
    Then we caught some trains (cool, modern and fast) to the river, changed to a river ferry alighting at the Royal Palace pier. As they had been before, Justin & Louisa stayed behind & drank coffee while Sue, Therrie & Peter joined the massive crowds going into the Royal Palace. There was security checking bags and hand-scanning each person and the at the gates the guards were turning away anyone not appropriately dressed (modest). This got us into the palace grounds but then we had to buy tickets to get into the palace area and temples (500 Baht). That done we joined the ever increasing crowds in the inner areas, it was soooo busy it was hard to walk around and see things, trying to avoid bumping into people and them into us. The buildings, ornaments and temples were just amazing, almost all were tiled in coloured or mirrored mosaic tiles, must have been and incredible activity to build it all.
    As instructed we removed our shoes to go into the Emerald Temple area and after walking around it for a bit, we returned to find Sue's & Therrie's sandals but my shoes were gone, should have been more careful. Had to spend the rest of the tour in my socks!!!!!
    Wandered around for a while longer but the crowds and heat got to us so we did a quick exit and went past the Royal Palace - can't go in, just walk past, but that is worthwhile in itself, a most amazing looking building, elaborate building and gardens all in the traditional Thai style.
    Apparently the recently deceased king is lying in state and some of the huge crowds were lined up to pay their respects to him. This plus the coming weekend is a religious holiday meant that more people than usual were visiting.
    We had enough and made our way out where Louisa & Justin were waiting with a pair of newly purchased & welcome thongs for peter. So the rest of his day was in long pants & thongs.
    Another attraction was close by so we walked to the Reclining Buddha, a giant golden statue of Buddha, in the reclining position. Paid a small entry fee which allowed us to walk past the statue and look around some temples. We skipped the temples.
    Outside, we decided to catch 2 taxis to the train station - Justin's taxi eventually got stranded in traffic and they bailed out and walked to a local station and trained it back to Asoke, near our hotel. The rest of us jumped in 1 taxi but the driver firstly refused to turn on the meter and refused to let us out until Louisa strongly told him to let us out. The next cab was more successful but we spent nearly 1 hour going a very small distance, eventually making it to the station. We all caught up for lunch and a cool drink, or 2.
    Returned to the trains to head to MBK, a major discount shopping centre where Peter got some new runners & Sue & Louisa bought some shirts & bags. Therrie & Ross also ended up there.
    and got some bargains. Justin went & caught up with Colin & his family.
    As we were all returning to the hotel (we had all split up by then) late in the arvo, the heavens opened up and it bucketed down, flooding the roads and stopping the trains. It commonly only rains for 1/2 hour but today was the deluxe, extended version and went for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
    Justin couldn't get out of Colins' house, so he came back later. The rest of us went nearby for a late dinner before calling it a night early.

    Weather was very warm (33C) and very humid with a thunderstorm late in the afternoon.

    Highlights
    * Royal Palace
    * ?? Peter's shoes getting pinched and did the Palace tour in his socks;
    * Trains - cheap, comfy, quick & easy to use;
    * Shopping
    * Getting caught by the torrential rain.
    Read more