Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Tewkesbury

    August 7, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    So it's not just Castles, Cathedrals and antique shops: Today we enjoyed a boat tour of Tewkesbury on the River Avon. It was very pleasant. It was a little boat with only 10-12 aboard. The skipper had some interesting things to say about the history of the town. The Avon is quite a long river and if we had plenty more time we could have ended up in Stratford-on-Avon. I think our 3 hour parking would have expired.

    The Tewkesbury Antiques Centre was a treasure trove. We both had a good poke around and found some things to buy.

    Then we went to check out the Abbey. What a lovely building. This has been around for 900 years. I put my phone timer on to remind me to head outside in time for the chimes on the hour - I've missed them everywhere else. Success.

    After Tewkesbury we still had some time to kill, so we decided to visit the Slaughters - Upper & Lower Slaughter. Weird name! I think everyone else had the same idea. We drove there but couldn't find anywhere to park. So we drove up and down the lovely street a few times then drove home. Seems no point living in such a peaceful place that everyone in the whole world wants to visit which surely ruins its peacefulness.

    We passed this absolutely gorgeous thatched house. Murgatroyd got a bit confused as we did a U-turn or two to get a photograph.
    Read more