Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    ¡Hola Colombia!

    May 10, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Spent 3 days in Bogotá before joining the group. Was really good. Although Bogotá is dodgey as... so Last minute I decided to book a local tour guide, Tours of Colombia with David. I just had another American couple with me who weren’t very friendly, but that’s okay.

    First day went to Laguna Guatavita and the Salt Cathedral. Apparently the Europeans tried to find this lake hundreds of years ago as they thought there was lots of gold there. They even brought slaves to cut off part of the mountain to access the gold. The local indigenous community treated the lake as a spritual site and had ceremonies, initiating the local chieftains. There was gold there as the indigenous tribe would throw pieces of gold in the lake. But apparently it wasn’t pure gold. Was mixed with copper.

    Second day, met Rey (colombian who grew up in US) at his contemporary art shop near the hotel. The following day went to his shop to hang out before checking into the tour hotel. It was fun and funny as people though I was actually helping out the shop. I think I must have brought him good luck as there were plenty of customers that day! Anyway, it was nice to be able to hang out with a local and talk about all sorts of things.
    Read more