Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 80

    A Day Trip to Peckham

    March 21, 2015 in England ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Even though Peckham Rye is still in zone 2 it felt like I'd made a day trip to another country.

    Chloe and I were catching up and decided to explore a different area of London today. A part from doing a quick Google search on the things to see in Peckham, we set off to explore a new area of London, seeking adventure and stories.

    We had lunch at No.97 a cool little cafe beside the local art gallery. We sat in what felt like someone's dining room. The cafe had floor to ceiling windows, wooden floors and an outside garden growing all around it. It was noisy and peaceful at the same time.

    After lunch we took a walkabout town. We stopped in at the library and took in the views of London from the 5th floor; we passed the local markets with fresh meats and vegetables and a pie shop that looked like it was established as one of the early pie shops from back in the day – décor still in tact.

    There were lots of cafes and shops all around the high street, each with an intriguing story. We followed an arty sign and found ourselves at the bottom of a disused multi storey car park. The top level is apparently used as a roof top cinema in the summer, while the basement, we discovered was being used as a cafe / bar / arts hub / dj area.

    We walked further along and through the massive Peckham Rye Pak and Common. There were lots of little parks inside the giant park with everything from a Japanese garden, to football pitch to a 'bush tucker' area.

    As it neared time for England to kick off in the 6 Nations final, we found ourselves a local pub in order to cheer in. It was awesome!

    With an Irish win under our belts (I didn’t parade that too loudly until I got home and contacted my Irish rellies), we headed towards the train to begin our journey home. We stopped in for one last meal at the venue called the Crust Conductor. It’s one of London’s big red buses that roams around town feeding people wood fired pizzas from its pizza oven in the back.

    It was stationed near the train outside a brewery. Pizzas on the bus, beer from the brewery and a fire on the outside for the smokers. It was a great experience and very yummy pizza.

    All in all a great day out, exploring a new part of London town.

    Things to do in Peckham Rye
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/16/9-reasons-peckham…

    Crust Conductor
    http://www.crustconductor.com/
    Read more