Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 101

    Oxford vs Cambridge Boat Race

    April 11, 2015 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Today I enjoyed a classic British sporting event! The Annual Oxford vs Cambridge Boat Race. It was the 161st men's race and ___ women’s. For the first time ever the men and women's races would happen on the same day, and on the same course. This was big deal here and very historic.

    The Boat Race is an annual contest between two rowing crews from Oxford and Cambridge universities. The Race takes place close to Easter each year on the River Thames in West London between Putney and Mortlake. The first race took place in 1829 in Henley on Thames following a challenge between old school friends. Since the second race in 1836 the contest has taken place in London.

    They expected 300,000 people to be lining the banks and a couple of million to be watching it live on the TV. I stood on Putney Bridge to watch the races begin, although part of me thinks the finish would've been more exciting.

    People were swarming everywhere. You're allowed to drink in public here, and so did the public enjoy such freedom. There were support crews wandering around handing out clappers in each of the team's colours and along the banks where large entertainment areas with big screens and food vans set up to accommodate the crowds. It had a festival atmosphere in a way.

    I stood on Putney Bridge and had a great conversation with two Londoners who had never been to the race! It was fairly cool, with the wind whipping up as the day went on, but the sun was bright and warm.

    After the race I walked up the length of the course to Hammersmith, about halfway maybe. All along were beer gardens buzzing with post race goers, people sitting along the Thames eating and drinking. It was just lovely. I couldn't help but notice that there were bin liners everywhere and most people had made the effort to put their rubbish in the bins or near it if it was full. That does not happen at home!

    A bit a of sun, sport, competition and history. A lovely way to spend a Saturday.

    More on the boat race
    http://theboatraces.org/
    Read more