Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 116

    London Marathon

    26. huhtikuuta 2015, Englanti ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Today is one of the biggest events on the London calendar. It's an event that absorbs the city and makes London feel like this one great big community. It's the London marathon!

    And this year I know someone who is running. It's very exciting. Nat who is a great friend and housemate of nicky's is running for the first time this year. It's a dream come true for her and very exciting for me. I love seeing people work really hard for a goal. It's very inspiring.

    I stayed at their place on sat night in preparation to form part of the cheer squad. We were up early and took Nat to the start. We were only allowed in so far before we had to wave goodbye and send her into the marshalling area. We joked it was like waving a kid off on their guest day of school.

    When the went for breakfast to fuel up for the big day haha. There were racers in our restaurant eating breakfast 20 mins before the race started. It was crazy!

    Our first stop was to meet Nag at the 7 mile mark (x km). We saw all sorts of people and customers running by.

    These included:
    A guy bouncing Basketballs
    supermans
    giraffe
    rhinos
    princesses
    cool runnings
    tardis
    jesus on a cross
    pink lady apples
    army / marina
    gorilla & banana
    juggler

    I thoroughly enjoyed watching these his run around the course. They definitely deserve a prize and function for running a marathon and in their outfits!

    The other cool thing about marathon is that all runners have their names in their shirts, so the public can call them out and offer support. It was fabulous!! I had so much fun cheering people on while we waited for Nat.

    We met her at mile 7, 13 and 22 m. We waited at mile 25 hoping to see her on the last leg but she rang us saying she'd already crossed the finish line.

    In a very distant way we ran the marathon ourselves today. We had to reach each destination before Nat did. This meant taking the overground rail and crisscrossing the city. It was awesome as you could see the track and runners at different times. It literally takes over London. I wouldn't recommend visiting London on this day as there'll be no accommodation and all the transport will be delayed.

    Nat was just buggered. We got some supplements into her and headed home. It was such a fantastic day!! And so very inspiring! But sheets hit up a marathon, but I'm starting to think a half marathon would be a great goal to achieve.
    Lue lisää