Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 193

    Greek Islands Day 2: Ermioni

    July 12, 2015 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    With several people waking with sore heads this morning, we coffee and head out at around 9am headed for island number 2 – Ermioni. Or as Alex says, it's like Hermione from Harry Potter but without the H.

    We are one of the first boats to head out and get to the rock area for the first swim of the day. Our token male, Paul, is really keen on rock jumping, and is first in the water to try it out.

    Once they are all back in we sail more towards an enclosed area for more swimming and lunch. Breakfast and lunch are provided each day. Break is cereal, breads, jams and eggs. Lunch varies between different salads, tuna and pasta dishes.

    You can see the bottom of the ocean in this area, the water is that clear. We swim around for a bit before enjoying our first lunch. This is our biggest day of sailing with almost 4-5 hours I think. We pack up and head for Ermioni, we have another 3 hours to go.

    Ermioni was responsible for creating the red dye in Alexander the Great’s capes. It was also used for anyone in parliament or a high-ranking official I think.

    We dock at 3:30pm, right in the middle of siesta time, so the town is really quiet. We walk through the village to the other port and check out the area there. On our way back Whitney and I discover that one of the bars / cafes is playing Wimbledon’s men singles finals. So we settle in for an afternoon of tennis and Greek beer.

    Tonight, after enjoying punch up on a hill, we fest on delicious E1.50 gyros, they are amazing! And turn out to be the best that I’ll have in Greece. As everyone else heads off to party I head to the other side of the island and try one of the restaurants out. They are serving rice pudding on their menu. It is too sweet for me, but still good. Gran, yours is still the best!
    Read more