Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 323

    Scottish highland tour - day 4

    November 19, 2015 in Scotland ⋅ 7 °C

    So we waved goodbye to beautiful Isle of Skye and head down the West Coast of Scotland. Our first stop of the day was at the Eeliean Donan Castle, this castle was famously used in the movie Made of Honor with Patrick Dempsey. Apparently, it's someones actual home and its all modern on the inside. We took lots of pictures and visited the tourist centre for a cuppa.

    Afterwards, we took a big drive up to the 5 Sister of Kintail and to take in a magnificent view down into the valley. The story goes that there were seven sisters who the local farmer needed to have married. Visiting brothers from Ireland met the sisters and fell in love with the youngest ones. The father was not happy to have his youngest married before the oldest.

    The brothers promised that they had more brothers in Ireland and would send them straight over if they could leave together with the girls. The father agreed and off the younger sisters went, while the others waited. And waited they did, until weeks turned into months and months into years.

    Eventually the father turned to the local wizard or witch and asked how he could preserve his daughters' beauty until they could marry, the wizard turned them into stone to wait their husbands. They're still waiting.

    We climbed (drove) down the other side of the mountain to reach the village of Glenelg where we could see the old brochs. These are suggested to have been built 2000 years ago and they used to be houses. There was a half complete one that we could walk through and a picture showed what ever level would've been like.

    It was nice. We then went back over the mountain and headed towards Spean bridge wool mill for lunch. It's odd being the only tour group around. We haven't seen anyone else on tour all week. Its fab! I definitely feel like we're on our own private tour.

    At this point we had a choice either see the Harry Potter bridge (the one Harry and Ron fly over in book 2 when looking for the train to Hogwarts) or go on a hike in full knowledge that it will rain and we will get wet.

    After some convincing we decided to go on the hike in Glen Nevis to see the Steele Falls and it was the best decision ever! We got as far as we could in the bus, and then got out and walked. Once we got off the road we were on a proper hike. Jumping over waterfalls, climbing over rocks, sloshing in muddy paths and getting drench. It was awesome!

    The water was forcefully coming down off the mountain, the river was swollen and the streams, now in full flow, were gushing everywhere. It was amazing. We were making our way towards Steele Falls where we could walk across a tight rope bridge.

    As we came around the corner we were greeted with a most beautiful view, making our hike 100% worth it. Apparently they filmed the village for Braveheart here. After having ever Scottish guide tells us how incorrect Braveheart is, I don't think could see it now.

    But anyways, we got closer to the falls and in the summer they all climb over this ropey bridge and swim around in the falls. Today, its too bloody cold and we are fast running out of sunlight. So we all quickly walk across the bridge, or some of us go as far as to take a good scary picture and then head back to the safety of the side haha.

    And then scramble back abroad the bus, soaking wet once again. It was a brilliant way to spend our final day really. In the summer, I realize that they would spend more time hiking, which would be a whole lot of fun. But thats always something for next time.

    Tonight we're staying in the town of Fort William as the usual town the tour stay in is closed for the winter. The whole town! crazy!

    Our hostel is lovely, the host is just wonderful, nothing is a problem. We warm up and head into town for dinner. The main street is a cute little village with hiking shops everywhere! We have dinner in a nice pub and I try out a few of the local gins. We try to get some drinks from the bottle shop to take back to the hostel, but everywhere shuts at 9pm and for the first time all week we are finished with dinner later then 9!

    We eventually find a RSL type thing for one more drink before heading home to bed and to download the new Adele album at 12:01am.

    Tour
    http://macbackpackers.com/tour/5_day_skye_and_h…

    Where I stayed
    Fort William Backpackers - Alma Road, Fort William, United Kingdom

    We stayed here for 1 night as part of the MacBackpackers tour. The rooms were big with big comfy beds, there was a fully equipped kitchen, dining around, big lounge room with fire and guitar, several bathrooms and an outdoor area where they put on big fires if it hasn't been raining. We were located in the center of town really, just up on a hill and a 10 min walk down int the main street. Our host was so lovely, she had everything we asked for and nothing was a problem! Breakfast in the morning for 2 pounds.
    Read more