Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Encampment at Penetanguishene

    August 10, 2019 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 18 °C

    "Close to 800 historical re-enactors travelled from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and from all over Ontario. They camped at Discovery Harbour, making meals over open fires and enjoying the camaraderie of fellow history lovers."

    More than 1,200 people visited Discovery Harbour Saturday to see the encampment, as the war raged on in Penetanguishene.

    We could have travelled right to Discovery Harbour by boat, had we known they have their own docks. Our son arrived and transported us over by car, instead.

    The encampment covered the grounds. Attention to detail was clear. These people had taken a step back through time, and were living the life in every way visible, from their quarters, to their dress, to their cooking implements, to their lanterns, and everything in between. It was spectacular. Their were vendors selling their wares, inviting everyone to join in by costume, or join one of the clubs. Musicians were out and about throughout the camp.

    A lovely collection of photos of the various events found here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/joeross/albums/72…

    The Siege of Magazine Island was the final battle of the event, featuring tall ships, cannons on the island and a variety of naval landings. The Americans were finally run out of Canada!
    Read more