Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Salt Lake City tour

    September 24, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    This morning, I joined a guided bus tour around Salt Lake City. We first stopped by the Utah State Capitol, a very impressive building that looked much like the capitol building in Washington D.C.

    The building is the home to the Utah state government - housing the Supreme Court and House of Representatives, among other things.

    When driving around in the city, we also passed by several venues used in the 2002 Winter Olympics.

    The tour ended at Temple Square, home of Salt Lake Temple, which is the largest temple in the world for the mormons, aka. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS)

    Utah and Salt Lake City, in particular, are the world headquarters for the LDS church, and their presence in the city is huge. They own many businesses and buildings around town.

    I have seen the massive temple in pictures, and it is very impressive, but currently, it is undergoing a major renovation, so it was completely covered in scaffolding.

    It was interesting to visit this very religious city on a Sunday. Virtually everything was closed, and the downtown area was practically empty in the afternoon. Very surreal to be in a major US city in the middle of the day with almost no people around.

    I did eventually find a place to get lunch and then checked out some exhibits at the planetarium, which was also open.

    Since I had no other plans, I decided to drop by a local movie theater to see the latest Expendables movie with Sylvester Stallone. It was not as good as the first 3 movies - for sure!

    The weather was lovely today, so after the movie, it was great to finish the day with a walk around the city. It is a really beautiful place, with the mountains in the background and many historical buildings.
    Read more