Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 140

    Day 138 Farewell Italy, Hello France!

    August 6, 2018 in France ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Monday 06/08/2018 Day (Day 51 SZ) Appart'City Nîmes 364, allée de l’Amérique Latine, Nîmes, 30900, France

    A travel day and farewelling Italy... in many ways we are be sad, we have truly enjoyed Italy, but can’t say I have totally enjoyed the Italians, they are quite rude especially in shops, but that seems to be the same country over and over in Europe they all hate their jobs and make sure you are aware of it when serving you! I so hope we in Australia don’t get as rude as they are over here...especially in our supermarkets and food stores that’s where they truly are the worse or at roadside stops.... anyway suck it up and deal with it as it’s part of the par....

    Our views along the way through tunnel after tunnel after tunnel were heaps of little villages piled on top of Hill knobs and in the valleys where you would think rivers run... so many so close to each other... all close knit homes on top of each other and a,ways the Cathedral on the highest point be it Hill or valley... always magnificent and always big....You can’t miss them at all... plus you can bet there would be up to another 5-10 church’s up streets here there and everywhere... we have found it time and time again even in small villages there are more than one church...

    We will remember Italy for the great roads unreal feats of architecture so many strung from one high mountain to another... the sheer volume of tunnels that even go through the tiniest hill so the farmers land its not disturbed, our government wouldn’t do that...The crazy crazy drivers they are absolutely mad.... you can never predict an Italian driver, on small roads to open hwys they are just so crazy either madly flying by, passing you on unpassable sections of the road or going soooo slllowww that you could walk faster, getting stuck behind them is just as frustrating as the fast ones in fact more so.... in the end John was starting to drive like an Italian, crazy himself... I just prayed a lot and kept my eyes 👀 shut... Thank the Lord he kept us safe because some days I was an internal mess... but God is trying, to trying tooo I said....teach me to keep my mouth shut when Johns driving.... that is a tuffy He has a big job to do on me cause sometimes it gets loose and I just can’t help myself say something... usually at the wrong time... but we have had that many close calls, not Johns fault most haven’t been anyway, some have it’s been, so its difficult for the old heart not to be put through her paces when they occur.... seems to be pretty regular in Italy so another reason I am not sad to leave, I will be glad for calmer roads... well I pray so... but also sadness as Italy is one of a kind with its villages, history and way of life... for all its negatives there are many, many positives..... hence why we have been back here over 4 times now and seen pretty much most of the country only a few sections left if ever the chance occurs again to visit it.....


    Drove for over 6 hrs, roadside stops were horrendous with people everywhere, but once we got to the got into France it all changed, calm, slower paced, not this mad run in get your quick fix of expression and run again... they all,have Yeppoon beans on board with that expression stuff and the bonus was even had rest stops real rest stops with trees tables toilets... nine if that anywhere in Italy... it was so strange as soon as we got over the border the terrain, vegetation everything changed like it knew it was a new country... we have noticed this time and time again as we change countries everything including the terrain feels so different.

    Arrived in Nîmes doesn’t look much from where we are heaps of shops across the road, hotel very compact and very busy.... tiny kitchen, but still managed to cook a banana cake except didn’t realise it was plain flour, so its a very heavy banana cake...

    I had spotted a couple of Restaurants on our way in not far from the hotel, so we Walked to brewery for dinner. Meal was so so, it was a Micro Brewery, well set up very busy with lots of people and now we had to try an order in another language it’s changing so fast from one to another and trying not to get our little tank toys etc mixed up from language to language..
    Tomorrow is another day so see what Nimes has in store!
    Read more