Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    THE SETTLEMENT OF EMU

    May 10, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    DAY: 18
    EMU here we come
    Another cold morning, but thankfully. It isn't as bad as yesterdays with ice everywhere..…
    We are slow getting up at present with the sun making its entrance late..
    Last night as in the Maralinga Area it wasn’t to bad…just very soft red sand…the Vans turned up dead on 6pm
    I am a bit slower getting going must be an age thing I think…
    Once we got going we crossed the BMR line...lit come from south to north east but apparently not meant to go on it…then we crossed into Army Prohibited territory…we do have permits for the area…..
    We had a stop at Anne’s crn and a look around…Bill the Bower bird found some unusual, chilli shaped red flowers on a very spikey bush….
    Had our cuppa the Vans joined us…then we set off only to find another Caravan wreak a older style Jayco pop top. While there a Nissan Patrol pulled up another couple by themselves…we have come across so many doing it alone…that why Sheryl and Dave like to do their own trips…no hassle…no one to think of come and go at their own pace...this couple were only allowing themselves 7 days...and after they had come across the Vans they said it took them 2 full days to get across all the corrugations…. After this their plan was head to the Canning then another sand track that runs parcel to the Tanamai track…very remote…..Good on them…but making it through here in 7 days is industrious…
    We also had another massive Camel sighting…,seeing their and dingo footprints everywhere but hardly any sightings.,,
    Also saw 2 birds nests today something we have't seen any of…
    Then another one at the Campsite area of Emu..,.
    We ambled onto the Emu which is the Woomera Range where the Airstrip and hush, hush English setup to do Atomic Testing for WW11…
    We had lunch at the shelter shed amongst the most fascinating trees that look like we are in Africa?….they started kilometre s back just amazing…so much different vegetation today from before yet again…
    From the look of the old campsite it looks massive…the Massive airstrip still in great condition as set right in the middle of a clay pan...I had truly forgotten just how much I do love a clay pan...I wish we could have camped on it tonight…there was so much for us to see along the airstrip including massive big old scales…old drums…etc but due to not wanting to hold up Sheryl and Dave we didn’t look…so wanted to spend an afternoon looking but not to be…especially as we spent quite a bit of time looking at the old campsite….lots of great old artefacts…Near the sign for Voakes Hill was a dried up stream…that had once had a windmill set up on it…. crossing all over the area was old water pipes…miles of it strewn around...along with old shattered glass louvers bringing back memories of cleaning the darn things when we grew up in Tiamby street…
    As we left just before hitting the corrugations a group of 4 cars came alone...first lot from Qld..
    They told Bill about 2 car loads of scientists staying at the Totem area camped there doing stuff…
    We left the Vans behind to explore so wanted to spend more time there…but not to be…we made our way to stay near the observation point for the atomic blast…
    All so interesting and spy type stuff…
    The flies have been horrendous all of a sudden…
    We keep hearing buggies but no luck in seeing them…
    Very upsetting with the Vans not getting where we were to camp tonight…John said he told Dave but again he must tell Sheryl as well…
    So they we thought headed on up the track
    Sat around with Bill cooked my vegan San Chow Bow….I did the last of the steaks, mash that was left and made onion gravy…
    Read more