Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 15

    Rhodes Island Greece

    4 novembre 2023, Grecia ⋅ 🌬 24 °C

    Day 15

    GOOD MORNING GREECE 🇬🇷

    Beautiful morning and we are arriving in Rhodes Greece. The harbour here is magnificent, old fort right on the entrance to the harbour. Breakfast was good this morning and had a good chat with some like minded people. Went up and took some photos before we headed off this morning.

    Rhodes
    Rhodes, the largest of Greece’s Dodecanese islands, is known for its beach resorts, ancient ruins and remnants of its occupation by the Knights of St. John during the Crusades. The city of Rhodes has an Old Town featuring the medieval Street of the Knights and the castlelike Palace of the Grand Masters. Captured by the Ottomans and then held by the Italians, the palace is now a history museum.

    Lindos
    Lindos is a town on the Greek island of Rhodes. It’s known for its clifftop acropolis, which features monumental 4th-century gates and reliefs from about 280 B.C. The Temple of Athena Lindia sits above an earlier temple. On the site’s lower level is the 14th-century Castle of the Knights of St. John. Among the town’s whitewashed buildings, the Virgin Mary of Lindos Church has 15th-century frescoes.

    Well it was off to Lindos in Rhodes, this is a town about 60-80km from the town of Rhodos and about 2500 year old, as per info above ancient medieval town that was established more by the knights returning from the Middle East. Very interesting with great views. Temples, great shops and plenty of sights. The only problem was a visit to a pottery factory on the way back to the boat. It was a bit of a walk up and down stairs this morning but nothing that couldn’t be handled. The guide was very informative and the countryside looks very similar to Crete. From here it was back to the boat and before we got back on board we wanted to check out the old town of Rhodes. This is a magnificent town and I have to say one of the best places we have visited. First up it was some Greek food to eat and of course the 🍺. Well the food was great and then the beer came out… it was a 2lt boot 👢… unreal. Anyway he sat us right out the front of the shop so we could help him bring in more people. There was a few who tried and most of us drank the 2lts. When we were finished he gave us a couple of shots of Orzo for our commission. It cost us around $100 but it was worth it. We continue on checking out the shops and the back streets… these guys are really well set up for tourists. We had a talk to a couple of the waiters, these guys work seven months straight during the tourist session, then the government pays them around $400 a week for two - three months off when the season closes. Not a bad life. The season is just about finished now and it is coming into the rainy season. It hasn’t rained in Rhodes since April this year. Finish looking around and back onto the boat around 4:30pm. Time for a shower and a drink before heading off for dinner and then the late shower… rocking in the 60,s, 70’s and 80’s…. Great show. After that it was sitting around and telling stories until around 12:00am.
    Off to bed

    GOOD NIGHT FROM THE MED.
    Leggi altro