Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 147

    Udaipur, The city of Lakes

    March 29, 2017 in India ⋅ ☀️ 36 °C

    We were exhausted when we arrived to Udaipur, owing to the standard Indian night bus experience, that lasted 22 hours.

    So our first afternoon in the Lake City was mainly spent snoozing and eating biscuits. I was struggling with the worst jet lag I've ever had, not only was the heat having an affect on me, but I had no idea what planet I was on. Tam took charge of the planning and organised and heritage walking tour, art class and a cooking class.

    The walking tour was okay, it mainly helped orientate us. Our guide Chimnay, was hilarious in a cringe way. He appeared to be the big man in town and insisted we review him on trip advisor as soon as we got back to our room. He even followed up with a text later the next day asking if we had done the review. Joker!

    We really loved the art class. When we had been to other countries before, one of our things that we like to do is a local art or crafts class. This one was really enjoyable and our resulting efforts, weren't too bad. Tammy's camel is AWESOME. Our massive smiles, faded when our teacher asked for 1250 rupees!! I responded saying we were told by your brother yesterday, that it would be 250 rupees per person, our teacher replied... Thats per hour! I hit the roof... I'm not sure if it was the heat, the constant feeling like you're being ripped off or the jet lag but it was the straw that broke the camels back. And we ended up leaving awkwardly, paying 700, with our art and them having a stern telling off. Ha!

    And finally the cooking class with Shashi.
    Easily one of the best days we've had in Indian. She was an absolute delight and taught us so much. We now know how to brew a cup of masala chai, bake a mean chapati and whip up a tasty sag aloo. Loved spending time with her and her son, and looking forward to trying out our new recipes when we get to the house we have rented in the Himalayas.
    Read more