Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    The Siq at Petra, Jordan

    November 19, 2019 in Jordan ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    Entry to the ancient lost city from the visitor centre is via the Siq, essentially a 1.5km slot between towering rocks. The siq is not created by erosion or weather, rather it is right on a geological fault line between the Asian and European continents. A bit narrow in places (2m) it meanders along with new wonders around every turn. The sound of hoof-beats frequently signal the next horse or buggy coming through and the masses part ...
    Along this walk we ho deeper and deeper into the earth until the walls are more than 100m high. It's cool and dark in places, but dry and well paved for us walkers.
    At one point there's a partly constructed arch that appears to have never been finished. Steps curve up rock faces to rooms and homes cut into the bare rock. There's a marital station where we were ceremoniously "married" again by our multi talented guide! No pics unfortunately, it happened without notice and we hadn't the chance to set up a photographer...
    After an hour or so he had us all assemble to the right, wait for tragic, then move to the left of the siq. What we saw was breathtaking (see next footprint!)
    Read more