Satellite
Show on map
  • Final objective, Conwy Castle, CP 41

    June 24, 2022 in Wales ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    The entrance to Conwy town was through old town walls. Initial section had typical sea side tourist shops and a Fish and Chip shop where I saw a Seagull steal a patron’s meat pie. The gull was immediately surrounded by a dozen others who loudly argued over the pie that was gone in a few moments. Quite entertaining, but not for the poor chap who lost his pie of course. Then passed an RNLI station where I got ‘gonged’ to join as a supporter, something I had been meaning to do for a while. Around the corner Conwy Castle towered in front of me. A right turn towards the town centre lead to steps up onto part of the extensive town wall, which lead into the castle visitor centre. Entrance ticket organised I walked from the visitor centre along the entrance path, up a few steps then finally into Conwy Castle (check point 41), final objective achieved!

    The castle is extensive, much of it is preserved with multiple spiral staircases in its many towers. The photographs illustrate the commanding view up and down the estuary and across to Llandudno which is effectively an extension of Conwy.

    After a walk around the shops I caught a bus back to Rowen for a short walk to the campsite then to the Ty Gwyn for cider and supper. An electric Organ had been setup and what followed was an evening of songs and hymns in Welsh. I was surprised how many of them I knew.

    Tomorrow back to Cardiff on five buses. The first at 09:35 from a stop 30 minutes walk from the campsite so plenty of time to strike camp and pack up.
    Read more