Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Getting into Street Photography

    July 28, 2018 in Nepal ⋅ 🌧 22 °C

    Don’t be shy. Be fast. Be patient. Find interesting subjects. Tell a story. These were just some of the lessons I learned on this morning’s Street Photography Tour with Backstreet Academy. My local guide Ajay is a photographer in Kathmandu. He’s won a few awards and works in town as well. Media shoots, portraits and more. There’s a lot more to street photography that meets the eye and there’s always a tip to make a good picture better.

    We set off at 7am to explore Asan market. It’s early but the locals are already up and about. Street vendors selling vegetables have taken over the narrow streets. Spread out before them are various vegetables as people buy their food for the day. Breakfast stalls and temples as well as shrines are also greeting early morning visitors. Come later and these folks will be gone, replaced by shopkeepers who operate shops just behind them.

    We take our time in the market, focusing on various people and what’s happening. I’m getting new lessons in composition for street photography. Not cropping and expanding the frame to tell a story. Looking for different angles, being more observant. Mornings are also great for lighting as is framing from various small doors and alleyways.

    We didn’t quite luck out completely with the weather so I did get to try out my camera raincover but it was easier just to switch cameras. If you’re shy like me, the point and shoot will be easier to break out of your shell and capture street stories. Less conspicuous and the morning locals are also more welcoming.
    Read more