Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Hello Alexandria

    January 23, 2019 in Egypt ⋅ 🌫 10 °C

    Leaving Cairo again, this time, northwards towards the Alexandria and the Mediterranean Sea. No more pyramids or ancient sites as we start hurtling through time up until the present. Named after Alexander the Great, we were looking forward to the change in pace and style. There are no tourist markets here so you get less harassed. You can even walk along the Corniche in peace.

    We only have 1 included activity today, the Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa. No pictures are allowed, but it was an interesting visit as we descended below ground. This used to be the private catacombs for a local wealthy family and was discovered (like in the Valley of the Kings) by a donkey who fell into a shaft. There are several chambers to explore and you can see art mixing Greek and Egyptian beliefs.

    Free time this afternoon after checking into our hotel. I rarely write about hotels, but the Misr Hotel is a hidden gem on the 9th and 10th floor of a building you would probably not walk into. There's a story to come later. But yes, don't judge this book by its cover. All our rooms had windows overlooking the Mediterrean Sea, and we also had a balcony that you could step out and look at the sea as well. The room was pretty nice, the only thing to note that the noise doesn't stay out though, and similar to other Egyptian cities, the traffic continues well into the night.
    Read more