Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Jeju - South

    May 14, 2023 in South Korea ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    The south coast tour only runs on Sunday which was part of the reason I tried to include a Sunday in my Jeju itinerary. It's more of an active tour but yet another chance to see more of Jeju. Some of the area does overlap with the West Coast so it's interesting how they split it up.

    Elin was off today so we had another guide who with our agreement flipped our itinerary. Now we start our day at Jeongbang Waterfalls, a really pretty waterfall that is the only one in Korea that spills into the sea. We're able to get up close and personal for photos and views.

    Next a small hike to check out Oedolgae aka Lonely Rock. Legend has it that a grandmother turned into a rock while awaiting her husband to return from fishing. Our next stop would've been Jusangjeolli Hexagon Lava Cliffs which looked really cool, but it was under restoration so we couldn't go. Instead it was replaced by a temple visit.

    After lunch, we stopped by the Alive Musume to take fun trick eye photos. It was really cool to finally experience this but it definitely is more fun when you go with friends and can take all the photos you want without asking for help from strangers. Even though we were encouraged to help each other, it still felt a little shy to ask.

    One of the highlights of the day was hiking in Mt Halla National Park. We took the Eoseungsaenak Trail to one of the peaks. It was harder that yesterday's hike and the clouds were moving in fast so we only had quick glimpses of the scenery and other peaks. The last 'activity' of the day was the Mysterious Road which is an optical location where it looks like a vehicle is rolling up instead of down. I'm still not quite sure how it works as we were on the bus for this with the driver rolling in neutral.

    Dinner - finally a restaurant that was open. The guide recommended a local place Memeal Naeng Myeon as I was craving cold buckwheat noodles. It's right next to the Jeju Isaac Toast in old Jeju. There's no English menu, but it's easy enough to point.

    One last drink to farewell Jeju - a blue/purple magic-ade - absolutely delicious.
    Read more