Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Hustai National Park

    June 1, 2023 in Mongolia ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Another night of rain but luckily our ger was fairly waterproof. The clouds hung low nearly covering the surrounding hills. We were off to Hustai National Park to look for wild horses and I was hopeful that the weather would turn for the better since we had to drive 260km. Enough distance to escape localized rain :)

    We arrived at camp around 130pm. This is definitely the busiest place we’ve been outside of Ulaanbaatar. Today is also children’s day so there were lots of families around. The wild horses of Mongolia now were actually bred in the zoos from the original wild horses sent to zoos in Ukraine. After they became extinct in the wild, efforts were made to replenish their population and then set them back free.

    The best time currently to spot them is in the evening before or after dinner. We were fortunate to spot not only a singular wild horse but also two separate herds along with deer and marmots. It’s quite remarkable to just stand and watch them, observing them in their natural habitat.

    With the tour coming to end, it’s a little bittersweet as we begin to recount our favourite memories of the trip. It’s also our last night in the ger as we’re back to a hotel tomorrow for our final night. It truly has been a great group of people travelling on one road. We were so lucky as well with the weather as well even with the rain. The rain necessary and at the most opportune times.
    Read more