Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 48

    Warm up hike

    18 juin 2023, Bhoutan ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Drove up to 3988m on Dantak Road this morning near Paro this morning to hike to Kila Goempa Nunnery. We were in the clouds and descended to this nunnery that clings to a rock cliff.

    The hike isn’t too challenging and great way for us to get about moving at altitude. Scenery was beautiful with the alpine trees and other foliage. Our group stayed together really well, the first time in all my hikes where there was no big gap. Pace set by the CEO was great as we all kept up easily and no huffing/puffing.

    The nunnery is small but very hospital as we were given tea and crackers. It was really nice to visit though we saw very few nuns. It’s a meditation centre so a number of nuns were likely in isolation to meditate. They stay in those rooms for 3 years.

    After our visit we headed to Paro for lunch and shopping. There seems to be more store options here than Thimphu but I suppose it is more touristy with Tigers Nest nearby. I picked up most o f my souvenirs and just have jam/honey left to buy. Needed a little more time to go through the general stores as we went into practically every souvenir/handicraft store. Hopefully we can have a second round of shopping on the day we leave since we have afternoon flight (if not when we get back from Tigers Nest).

    Half of us then visited Kyichu temple one of the oldest in Bhutan. I think some of us are templed out. I kinda felt that way but ended up going and was rewarded by the small temple. This might be my favourite with flower courtyards and the small rooms inside.
    En savoir plus