Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 3–4

    Day 2-Orisson to Roncesvalles 18km

    15 de mayo, Francia ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Leaving Orisson today we continued up the steep asphalt road. After climbing for about 3.8 km we passed the Statue of the Virgin Mary up on the hill. Not long after this we came across a Camino angel- a coffee cart in the middle of the mountains selling coffee, tea, bananas and cheese. We all enjoyed a well earnt coffee. Packs back on and we continued our climb to the Fountain of Roland, last chance to fill our water bottles in France. Then across the cattle grid into Spain, we are now in Navarre. Continuing onwards and upwards we passed many sheep and beautiful mountain horses and their foals. We were entertained by the chiming of cow bells hanging from the horses necks. At the peak of Col de Lepueder 1450m we came across a shelter used in emergencies if the weather turned bad. From up here we had wonderful views of the abbey at Roncesvalles and the town of Burgette in the valley below. Well you know how the saying goes, what goes up must come down. The descent was very steep in sections very rocky with loose pebbles and uneven surfaces. At one point we went through very picturesque forest and some very boggy ground. We arrived at the albergue and were given our beds, such a huge monastery to accommodate pilgrims. So many beds on one floor but divided up into four bed cubicles with your own locker for your pack and plenty of power points. Dinner tonight was soup and bread rolls for starters, followed by roast chicken or trout then ice cream for dessert. Again there was red wine to wash it all down.
    Weather today - clear skies at times with some sneaky cold winds. Hats and gloves on most of the day. Small hail shower after the border crossing.
    Leer más