Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Ice Cave Visit

    February 11, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    We were able to book the ice cave visit for midday which again meant an awkward morning, not because of timings but because when we arrived at Jokulsarlon it was blooming freezing. It was -6c with a wind and this made photography less inviting. We had a go but didn't do a lot if we're truthful.

    Rob had already met our guide just after we arrived and knew we were to meet in the cafe ... much warmer than the car park of course. It was a very pleasant surprise to discover that we were the only two booked onto that visit so we had a private tour with our very own driver and guide. Our diver was Icelandic and our guide from Austria but they both spoke excellent English and made us feel so welcome. You can see the truck we traveled in to what became the second surprise ... we were the only people in the cave and our guide gave as much time as we needed for our photography. She also said how rare that was we were privileged indeed.

    It took a while for our eyes to adjust to the dim light in the cave but once they acclimatised all the shades of blues and greens became apparent. We can't recall how long we were there with our cameras, maybe 30 or 40 minutes with no-one but us. Then another group arrived just as we'd finished. Perfect.
    Read more