Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    The Waterfall that Wasn't

    February 16, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌙 2 °C

    Today we had a reasonably long drive to get to Stykkishólmur in the north of the Snæfellsnes peninsula so the idea was to visit a few places of interest along the way. For the first stop we decided we'd revisit Seljalandsfoss waterfall to see what it looked like in winter ... that's the waterfall where there's a path you can walk which takes you behind the tumbling water. We had already been told the path was closed at the moment but we reckoned it would still be worth a visit as another tick for Tony's frozen waterfall list.

    We were totally amazed and somewhat shocked to find that when we arrived the place was heaving with tourists, coaches that had brought them and a completely full car park where, now, charges applied. This was very different to when we visited last. It was quite busy then but was nothing like what we discovered today.

    We decided we'd just take a picture from the parking area then leave as we couldn't see how we'd get a decent photograph there with so many people around. This was a little disappointing but we had been there before and we had got a fairly long drive ahead of us.
    Read more