Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Gulfoss Waterfall ... full!

    February 16, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Having gorged ourselves on tomato soup, we headed towards the Gulfoss waterfall which we knew would be the best entry in 'Tony's Ultimate Photographic Guide to the Frozen Waterfalls of Iceland.' The photo you see is all we saw because it was the same as we found earlier ... only twenty times worse. The main car park was more than full containing coaches, minibuses and cars all fighting for car park spaces that were long ago used up. Some time in the Viking era we think. There were people everywhere getting mixed up with the cars and the coaches and minibuses and snow and ice. We could find nowhere to park and even tried another smaller car park we thought people may not realise was there. But they did, because that too was rammed full with queues to get in or out and cars parked along the road making access even worse. The whole place was a nightmare so once again we left having seen even less than this morning. We never even saw an drip.

    Is this what is going to happen to all those beautiful locations in Iceland? Worrying. But then maybe even we are part of the problem.
    Read more