Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Elgol

    August 23, 2018 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Rob made it to the tent without getting wet but couldn’t get to sleep straight away because the wind and rain intensified, shaking the tent quite violently. It wasn’t that Rob was worried he’d be blown away and end up in the river, but the noise of the fabric shaking. So he decided to check the weather forecast for the next few days only to find it was wall to wall showers and cooling temperatures. The decision therefore was to move-on and head to Northumberland, which was always the intention, and to fit that in Rob would have to leave soon in any case. Eventually he fell asleep and the next thing he knew it was time to get up - to find a nice anti-Midge breeze and the hint of some sunshine. During breakfast however the first of the showers blew through ... definitely time to leave.

    Having sorted another coffee and a couple of ginger nut biscuits, Rob looked at the route to get to Northumberland and where he might stay when there. He certainly fancied B&B that night simply to take a shower at leisure, rather than hurriedly finishing up before he got too cold which is the joy of the loo block on a camp site! Pitlochry was chosen for the overnight stay and options considered for the weekend. Then, having taken-down the tent and packed everything away, he began the 160 mile drive ... Scotland is bigger than you think.

    On the way to the bridge to the mainland is the turning to Elgol, which is a bit of an iconic photo location, so even though the weather and lighting wasn’t brilliant, Rob decided to drive the 15 miles to go and take a look and it was well worth the detour. Rob took some photos en-route and also after a lunch snack at a really nice shop/cafe in Elgol, at the top of the hill just up from the public conveniences. You get the idea from the phone photos in this footprint ... not about the public loos, but about Elgol and the kind of view you get toward the Cuillins across the water.
    Read more