Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    That was Scotland 2018

    August 30, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    That’s it then - the end of the Scotland 2018 adventure and it was as predicted with plenty of falling water from the skies and all those pesky midges of course.

    It’s never possible to predict how a trip will pan out and this one has been no exception. The weather has at times been disappointing with heavy low cloud making it hard for Rob to capture the images he was hoping for. This doesn’t make the trip a disaster or failure, it simply means the images he took were not as expected. It would have been brilliant to have better or more dramatic lighting but you get what you’re given.

    Lessons can always be learned and the main one is not to go to Skye in August. It’s simply overrun with tourists and there were a couple of occasions, particularly at the Fairy Pools, which were impossible for photography simply because too many people were there. August is not so good for midges either, but Rob was prepared for that and the measures he took were effective ... Avon Skin So Soft does work. The camping experience worked extremely well too (Rob will be doing this again) and managing power, charging the phone and camera batteries etc etc, away from mains electricity worked to perfection. Though Rob felt he stalled a few times, unsure what to do due to weather constraints and plans needing to be changed, overall it was a great trip. He felt some time was wasted but it was a holiday as well and there’s no crime in taking time out to reflect or simply to enjoy the landscape you become part of and there were many moments to be treasured.

    In terms of photography, the aim was to return with about a dozen photographs to be proud of which amounts to around one for each day of the trip. All being well, when Rob has had time to view his photos on the computer, that aim will be met.

    The photographs in this footprint are from Rob’s Canon camera and have been processed on the computer after he got home. The first is one of the photos taken of Dunstanburgh castle and this one is in focus even though it may not look pin-sharp once it’s uploaded to this blog. It was taken a little earlier than the one you’ve seen already when there was more light on the headland and castle ruins. It’s basically the same shot though.

    The second photo was taken on Skye just across the road from the campsite. It’s was almost dark when Rob took this and that’s the feeling he’s tried to capture. The moon hangs low over the Cuillins, casting its reflections into the river as the last rays of daylight fade away and the land becomes bathed in a gentle blue light. Soon the night will take the last of the colour from the landscape and the moment will be gone.

    ————————————————-

    I hope everyone who’s been following this trip has enjoyed the journey with me and that the photos I’ve posted and the diary I’ve written have been interesting as well as amusing in places, for that was my intention. Thanks in particular to Richard Valsler who has meticulously commented on the daily posts (you need a medal) but it is difficult to tell if anyone is following along even though I know there’s been a fair number of you. Thank you.

    Someone asked why I do this. I started the FindPengins blogs with my friend Tony during the first trip to Iceland in 2016 and really enjoyed ending the day reflecting on what had been done and also using my phone to capture the journey along the way. I enjoy it because it makes me appreciate more what I’ve been doing and the places I’ve been, and I enjoy it in the hope I will bring something of interest to other people’s lives as well.

    So thanks again to everyone who’ve made it this far .... there will undoubtedly be another trip soon.

    I wonder where it’ll be. Rob
    Read more