Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Callanish Stones

    July 24, 2022 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    If you journey to the Isle of Lewis this is probably going to be on your list of places to visit, but why? It's because this group of Neolithic stones (4000-2500bc) is one of the best preserved examples of this genre in the UK. It's a bit like the Stonehenge of the north and locally they are know as the Calanais stones. They comprise a circle of thirteen stones which are at the centre of an overall shape of a cross, but one thing that is very different here than at Stonehenge: you are allowed to walk amongst them and touch them if you feel the need.

    It wasn't all that crowded while I was there but I still needed to be patient to get a photo with no people in it. Photo 2 shows what you get if you don't wait and photo 3 is perhaps a classic black & white shot. They are harder to photograph than you would think because after all and to put it bluntly, they are simply a bunch of standing stones. Make sure you point your camera in the right direction though otherwise, as I have also shown in photo 2, you get the nearby houses as a backdrop.

    It would have been nice to grab a coffee and cake at the café, but then you already know why I couldn't. But hey, only wimps need coffee and cake.
    Read more