Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Soda Fountain, Soda Springs ID

    June 21, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Whilst today has been mainly just a driving day we ha e seen some different country. Driving some minor roads through Utah. Utah of course is mainly Mormon as it was the Mormons settled these and farmed these lands in the late 1800s.

    There is some amazing history of those times in the Oregon trail that passes through this region. The Tabernacle (photo below) is a monument to those times.

    We passed through Ephriam, Coalville, Evanston, Paris, Laketown Garden City. We also stopped in Montpelier to visit the bank now a museum that was robbed by Butch Cassidy and accomplices, before arriving in Soda Springs.

    Laketown and Garden City sit on the shores of Bear Lake, a huge expanse of water. There is a species of fish that habitats here that is only otherwise found in Washington. The theory is that the lakes are connected via subterranean caves, this is unproven as the lake is so deep it has not yet been proven.

    Soda Springs is so named by the geyser was discovered here that provided a source of commercial grade drinkable carbonated Soda Water.
    It was a large source of revenue for the town.

    Now the geyser is controlled with releases on the hour, it is very impressive. We took a cup and drank straight from the geyser after the release. It was perfect.

    We chatted with a local girl who educated us about a number of local facts and has suggested that next time we are here to contact her mother who would be more than happy to play host and tour guide.

    A cold beer and a shared meal at the local Pub and the day is complete. Another stunning day weatherwise.

    Heading to Jackson tomorrow where snow has been falling.
    Read more