Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Astoria, WA

    July 2, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    With a day up our sleeve we left Seattle and followed the I 5 to Tacoma and Olympia before picking up the 101 and heading for the coast, Aberdeen, Westport, Long beach to name a few seaside towns.
    We have been watching the recurring land marks of and exploratory expedition of Lewis and Clark and their original outward journey finished in this North West corner of Oregon at Astoria. One year to get here and a year to return and report on their findings through unbelievably hard conditions.
    Our quest to reach these parts was to tick of a bucket list item for Carl and that was to see and drive across the nearly 3 mile span of the Astoria bridge. As I said was passed through Westport a fishing village with its memorial to lost mariners. There was a biting cold North Westerly wind blowing and my brag of going for a swim in the North East Pacific started to be re thought.
    Long Beach Washington is the longest beach in the world and after fish and chips for lunch we drove down to the shore and I at least waded knee deep into the ocean, the water was toe numbingly cold so that was it for me and Paola at least got her feet wet as well.
    From here we continued to Astoria and carl satisfied his bucket list item. It really is an amazing site, crossing the mighty Columbia River. We also visited the Astoria Tower and climber the spiral stair case inside, 164 steps up the spiral staircase certainly got the legs burning but it was worth every step.
    The 101 is an amazing road up the west coast and we are pleased to have covered so much of it in two trips.
    Read more