Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    New York to Boston

    September 22, 2014 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    On the Amtrak Acela to Boston. Enjoying pretzels and coffee in First Class and about to order lunch! Very comfortable train with free WiFi.
    In the first photo you can just see, in the distance, the Freedom Tower on the left, with the Chrysler and Empire State buildings to the right.
    First stop Stamford, Connecticut then New Haven, CT, Providence RI and Route 128 MA & Back Back, Boston before reaching South Station in Boston. Second photo is somewhere in CT. There were lots of bays along the way with beautiful clapboard houses lining the waterfront. The leaves are starting to turn and some were very red. Arrived at South Station and caught a cab to the hotel, unpacked a bit and then took the subway from Airport Station to State Station in downtown Boston. The Airport Station was big and modern (and above ground) but State was very small and dark and quite a different feel from the NY subway. A short walk to Faneuil Hall and Quincey Market but as it was about 4 p.m. things appeared to be winding down for the day. Third photo is Faneuil Hall in Boston. Bought some food in Quincey Market and a bottle of wine on the way to the subway. Decided to come back tomorrow and go for the free guided walk with a Park Ranger along the Freedom Trail. Back to the hotel for wine and pizza and a good night's rest.
    Read more