Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Dubai, UAE

    October 4, 2014 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    Not a bad flight - 12 hours and the smoothest landing ever, not even a bump. Very hot - 30+ at 7.30 p.m. Caught a taxi to Raffles Hotel and it was a very impressive sight. Its shaped like a pyramid and the theme throughout the hotel is Egyptian but it's very classy - lots of gold and marble everywhere. You aren't allowed to carry any of your luggage - they insist on taking it for you. Went to the reception desk and, as we have a Club room, we were taken to that level to check in and offered a refreshment. By the time we arrived at the Club level Robinson, the concierge, already knew our names and organised for a glass of Killawarra sparkling to be brought to us. We chatted for a while and then had another glass of sparkling and a bite to eat. It is Eid here now and the Club was open an hour later because they weren't allowed to start serving alcohol until 7 p.m. We were shown to our room and OMG what a room!! The bathroom is marble with a huge bath and separate shower with two different heads, lovely toiletries, candles on the bath and "mood " lighting. The lights, curtains and Do Not Disturb signs are all electronically operated, with controls by the bed. Nespresso coffee machine, several bottles of water (tap water isn't safe to drink) and fresh fruit in the room. There's a spacious balcony with comfy furniture with a great view of part of the city.
    Bed was soooo comfortable and much appreciated when we finally got into it!
    Some shots of our room, from the door looking out the window to the city and looking back into the room from the window.
    Read more